Tuesday, September 30, 2008

clockwork


Mark Oram, here. I'll be playing "Knock," yes, the one who eats flies, bites people, and runs around town laughing maniacally.

Because I'm currently performing in another of Chris's shows (Pericles at BYU), I haven't had a chance to observe much of the rehearsal process yet. When I can manage to drop in towards the end of an evening rehearsal, I get to sneak in and watch the fruition of the night's work. Quite honestly, it's already unlike anything I've ever seen.

This play is going to be insane. In a good way. Not only are we re-creating a classic 1922 vampire film before your very eyes (no, I won't stop there!) - we're also splicing our live action performance with footage from the original! It's a mind-bending enterprise, with multiple camera angles and multiple sets being utilized simultaneously to create (we hope) a seamless experience.

Now you would think, or at least I would, that a bunch of freshmen would be incapable of pulling off such a feat - at least until the week of Final Dress. But, as I mentioned to Chris this evening - "it shouldn't be working, but it is." Everyone is alert, focused, and professional, and the play has already begun to develop a creepy, rhythmic flow. It's amazing to watch the discipline and precision that each of the cast and crew are putting into this effort. And I think it's because we all have got a sense of just how incredible this show can be if we pull it off.

1 comment:

Megnificent said...

True. Everyone is really focused. Whoop!